ATI-LA offers a three-year training for those interested in teaching the Alexander Technique. The ratio of students to teachers is 5:1, enabling all participants to receive continuous attention and supervision.
The Institute provides a course of study and training in the principles of “psychophysical re-education of the use of self” as discovered by F.M. Alexander: recognition of the force of habit, faulty sensory perception, inhibition, direction, means-whereby and end-gaining.
This method of psycho-physical re-education develops an in-depth understanding and a highly refined experience of natural coordination and functioning. Participants learn to identify, evaluate and change habitual patterns in daily life. As a trainee, you will learn to direct others in the discovery and application of the principles.
- Daily personal instruction in the “use of self”
- Observation and analysis of postural efficiency at rest and in movement
- Application of the Technique to a wide range of activities in daily life
- Reading and discussion of literature by F. M. Alexander and others
- Exploration of human anatomy—video, books, hands on, and movement
- Integration of the principles of the Technique while teaching others; communications to
- Practice Teaching, with faculty supervision
- The Alexander Technique as a profession: insurance, marketing, educating the public
Trainees may be accepted for enrollment at the beginning of each trimester in which there are openings.
Prerequisite: it is required that at least 30 private lessons have been taken before being admitted to the training program. Of these, a minimum of two lessons must be with the Co-Directors of ATI-LA.
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant's Alexander Teacher(s) is required.
- Copy of High School Diploma or equivalent. The State of California requires all enrollees to have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Completed Application. Download an application here.
- $50 non-refundable application fee.
The cost of the three-year Teacher Training Course of 1620 hours is $27,000.00. There are currently no grant or scholarship programs available through the school.
The Course meets five days a week, Monday through Friday from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. We operate on a trimester basis, twelve weeks per trimester (or term). There is a one-week mid-term break, as well as a summer and winter vacation. Trainees may enroll at the beginning of any trimester (September, January or April), when there is an opening.
Teacher Training Hours: see current Calendar for the dates of Course Sessions. The ATI-LA Hours of Operation are 9:30 am to 12:30 pm, M-F (during Course Session’s only) with a 15-minute break (the start time of break may vary but is roughly session mid-point).
Administrative Hours: By appointment only.*
*Currently, ATI-LA’s “hours of operation” are dedicated solely to training/student interaction, since administrative tasks are administered solely by the training faculty. Some minimal administrative tasks are handled directly before class, during breaks and directly following class.
Certification and Completion
A Certificate of Completion is given provided the trainee has completed the three years of training (1620 hours) and has achieved a satisfactory level of proficiency in teaching the Alexander Technique, as determined by the Director(s) of Training and faculty. The course is approved by the American Society of Alexander Teachers (AmSAT). Upon satisfactory completion of the Teacher Training Course—and certification—graduates become eligible to join AmSAT as a Certified Member.
ATI-LA is licensed by the State of California’s Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.
Our studio in Santa Monica is home to the training course; all activities take place there.